Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Net Worth Update

I'm silly. I didn't add the value of our condo in to my net worth badge so it looked WAYYYYY worse than it really is. I just added the value it was at the time of purchase which was just over a year ago and recalculated. According to Zillow it is worth $20,000 less than a year ago but I take that with a grain of salt I think.

Not all of our updates are on the Zillow site and I do think it's not a completely accurate estimate but more of a ball park for people out there in the housing market.
For goodness sakes, we paid property taxes last year based on what the place was worth at time of purchase. Our property taxes went up this year so I can only assume that means the value went up as well. The badge is now much more current - thank goodness! Still partly a guestimate as I need to add more specific 401(k) information and changes to our car loan and credit card balances.

This past week we made our first extra payment on the car loan. It was only an additional $300 but coupled with the minimum payment on the car and personal loan it was ALMOST what I bring home in two weeks. Yikes! That's OK though. We are getting closer to our personal goals of being debt free and I like that even more than the temporary freak out of that large check I wrote. I have written larger check for college tuition.

On a personal note, I had written several days ago about my MIL and hubby and I not agreeing on things. I had sent her and her hubby an rather long email explanation which pretty much included everything we have been trying to tell them for the past eight months. I tried a different tack and that seemed to have worked at least as far as getting our point across. She did finally reply that they understood and it sounds like a next step will be taken. Moving forward I hope as this seems to be a step in the right direction.

Normally I would go back to the previous posts (there are two) where I alluded without too many details about what was going on. But I'm not going to. I have apologized for my personal part in the family drama, I had said my peace and if people don't agree with my opinion then that doesn't mean I don't have to right to post it and keep it posted. It has taken me a long time to learn not to be stepped all over. So far in this situation I have not been very graceful at it but I am learning.

I am going to go out and enjoy the sun that finally showed up in Seattle! Have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've been using Zillow for years and it's great to get a ballpark. Sometimes it's right on and sometime it's pretty far off. I also use PropertyMaps to check out what other houses are selling for in the area. It's a quick and easy way to get quick ideas. It's a Google Maps/MLS mashup.

paisley penguin said...

Ed~

Thanks so much for the link to Property Maps. I will check it out when I get a chance. :0)

~Karen

Anonymous said...

I just checked our house on Zillow and our house value is lower about the same as your condo.
Congratulations on getting closer to being debt free. :) It hurts sometimes to write those checks but in the long run, it is so worth it!