Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

It's snowing again

I am happy to report that I finished my brothers Christmas gift last night. I still have a few thousand threads to snip then I will get it in to a box and wrap it. I'm calling it Tetris for obvious reasons. Oh - and it's HUGE!

I'm pretty thrilled with the randomness of the look of the quilt but there is nothing random about the pattern. Where you see the orange squares is where I stitched an X through the front and back with orange thread to "quilt" them together. The backing became the binding on the front. It's in the dryer right now cause it's all snowy from the photo.


Here is a special treat for you all. Someone gave me this recipe last year and it replicates a certain giant coffee sellers Christmassy treat with cranberry's and white chocolate.

1 ½ cups packed light brown sugar

1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 ¾ cups white chocolate chips

1 ½ cups dried cranberries, coarsely chopped (I use Craisins)

1 cup toasted chopped pecans (if desired)

¼ cup grated orange zest


Preheat the oven to 350°


Lightly butter an 11 by 15 inch jelly roll pan or rimmed baking sheet. Whisk together the brown sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, and salt until well blended, then stir in the white chocolate ships, cranberries, pecans, and orange zest. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan (it will be quite stiff) and bake until golden brown, about 20 to 22 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack to cool.


Frosting


8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature

1 cup powdered sugar

½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature

3 tablespoons grated orange zest, divided

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/3 cup dried cranberries coarsely chopped

6 ounces high quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped

Cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, 1 tablespoon of the orange zest, and vanilla with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth and fluffy. Spread the mixture over the cooled base. Stir together the remaining 2 tablespoons orange zest with the dried cranberries in a small bowl and sprinkle the mixture over the frosting. Melt the white chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Drizzle the white chocolate over the bars and let sit until the chocolate is set.

Cut the bars into 3 inch squares and then diagonally into triangles, makes 48 bars.



I was unable to finish the Tabi socks for my SD, the fingerless gloves for my SS or the scarf for my mom. Never fear, the SK's will get their gifts in January some time and I will finish the scarf and give it to my mom or save it. It's never to early to start for next year!


Below is a shot of the first Tabi sock and a skein of yarn. I'm about to turn the heel on this sock. This color way is called Wicked Witch. I was leaning towards Lost Boys cause I thought Evil Stepmother was over the top. I will post a photo when they are done.



This is the first ever white Christmas for me and I am thrilled! Now it's time to get my house back in order. There is sewing and wrapping stuff everywhere. I may just make myself a new pair of flannel PJ bottoms first.

Happy WHITE Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the quilt! Merry Christmas to you and yours.