Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Tetris

I came up with an idea for a quilt for my brother last year. It reminds me of Tetris.

A Russian video game where you take tetrominoes and put them together kind of like a puzzle to eliminate rows and keep going in the game.

The blocks I have in the quilt are based on these tetrominoes. Each color of six in the quilt has it's own unique block shape. Orange is a 4 x 4 square, Grey is a 4 x 8 rectangle, Blue is a 4 x 12 rectangle, Burgundy is a 4 x 8 x 4 L shape, Green is a 4 x 4 square and Brown is an 8 x 12 rectangle. I used excel to manipulate the different pieces to create a quilt top. The finished size will be 84 x 112 inches.

The photo above is a screen shot of my excel template. The colors are kind of off but you get the general idea of what the finished result will look like. The cool thing about this pattern is the upper left corner and the bottom right corner are mirror images and the upper right corner and the bottom left corner are mirror images. When you get to the middle it still makes a pretty cool pattern. It could even be called organized chaos.

This is the best I could do color wise with my digital camera. The orange is not as bright as it is in real life but the rest of the colors are pretty accurate. I spent last night cutting out all the pieces (need a tad bit more orange, green and brown as I miscalculated a bit but that will not be a problem or a large expense). I plan on backing this quilt with a large flannel sheet. This is going to be more like a blanket than a puffy quilt but it's flannel so will be nice and warm. This project I don't expect to be completed by the end of this month.

I think I'm still on track for completing seven hand crafted Christmas gifts this month. I need to wait until the SK's go back to their mom tomorrow to do three others. They will be at their mom's for the Thanksgiving weekend so I have a lot of time to get crafty that weekend.

I did buy some fabric yesterday to make the hubs something for Christmas. Unfortunately I can't post photos or even say what it will be cause he reads my blog. I will have to kick him out of the house when I am ready to make it.

2 comments:

Celtic Sprite Seeking Knowledge said...

This should be really fun to make & festive to use too.

umoo.com said...

It is a great thing to be able to make such cool gifts! It obviously took a lot of thought, care and work and is an amazing gift idea, without the expense of a fancy high-tech gift.