Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fall Is In The Air


I love fall. I mean really love it. No matter how much I can't wait for summer when it's the dead of winter I love fall even more. The transition from summer to fall is one of my favorite times of year. School is starting, football season is around the corner (go Cougs!), leaves are turning, hand knits become a necessity. Snuggling under a blanket with a fire blazing, drinking a hot toddy and watching my three favorite Halloween gals the Sanderson Sisters from Hocus Pocus. I also get to decorate and cozy up my house.



I only decorate my house from September to the end of December. Traditionally I get out fall colored stuff that is pretty organic so it serves a purpose from September through November. The walls of the main part of my house lend itself to fall. My kitchen is red, my dining room is olive green and currently my living room is a mocha color. I had considered painting it a muted squash color but am thinking of a darker brown than it currently is. My front door is really dark cause we are at the bottom of a stairwell so I used to "plant" silk flowers in a flower pot by my door as nothing else would stay alive. This year I want to get some corn stalks and put out my fake pumpkins (they last so much longer than real ones) to go with my scarecrow.


Last year I flirted with the idea of a Halloween tree. We have not found a tree yet but hope too soon. I don't have many ornaments but that is OK. A work in progress. My organic fall decorations just add to the Halloween elements hubby and I put out in October. Hubby LOVES Halloween. His birthday falls just a few short days before. Not certain yet what my costume will be this year but hubby has his all figured out.


Christmas this year I plan to have a theme tree. I have always wanted to do that. The colors are chocolate brown, olive green and peacock blue. I have brown and green Christmas balls and am still searching for the perfect blue. This weekend hubby and I plan on going to Leavenworth to hit the Kris Kringl store. We are in need of new stockings so I plan to hit the Labor days sales to see if I can score on some chocolate brown velvet. I also need to make my new niece a stocking so will search for fabrics for that as well.

What do you all do for the fall season?

3 comments:

Clean ClutterFree Simple said...

Oooh, I too love fall. The crisp air, the smell of woodsmoke, the changing leaves...all wonderful! We do a few Halloween decorations outside, usually some little ghosts in the trees in our front yard. Last year, I picked up some purple and orange light strands at Jo-Ann (love the 40% off sales) and put them on our fence. It really set the mood!

Roland Hulme said...

Great post! I totally agree - I love the fall. It's my favourite season. Although we called in 'autumn' back in England.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the drastic change in weather in the last week or so. I love early fall but I'm hoping we have a few more sunny, hot days. :)