Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Strawberry Pancakes & Guiness

Yet another idea I am stealing from Crazy Aunt Purl. Love her! Funny thing, I was talking about just this very thing over the Memorial Day weekend with some friends.

Hubby and I both got paid last week. I paid all of the bills that are due (some even ahead of the due date) and after the birthday BBQ celebration for my bonus daughter (she turned 14 on Friday) we have $156 until June 6. That is for food, gas and other stuff. Who am I kidding? There will be no other stuff for the next two weeks or longer!

So, tonight we went to Costco and Fred Meyer for groceries (BTW - I HATE FRED MEYER!). We spent $90 (of our $156) and that should last us for two weeks. Bulk is a good thing when you need to stretch your dollars. (Who says you can't have pancakes for dinner!) We don't have the kids again until we get paid and the first week of June we are taking time off to finish our bedroom so we won't be doing a lot of driving.

Our moratorium on non-essential spending will mean other than bills our left over money will be spent on food, gas, pet supplies and throwing the rest at our debt. That means no Starbucks, that means no little tchotkes for the house, that means no magazines, that means no books and that means no yarn.

The one caveat we have is movies. Hubby and I are real movie freaks. We have already deducted in our budget money to see the movies we really want to see this summer. We are limiting ourselves to purchasing one DVD per month. To take that completely away would be cruel and inhumane. I do have a second caveat. I will purchase clothing IF and only if it is a basic I need for my wardrobe.

2 comments:

Clean ClutterFree Simple said...

Ya, I don't like Freddies either. For groceries anyway. We have the one non-grocery Fred Meyer in the area and it's ... ok. I go there for some toiletries, cards, etc. Hate the grocery ones, though. The sale stuff is almost always sold out and the lines take forever.

Love Costco!

paisley penguin said...

I really don't like Freddy's produce. Yuck!

I prefer QFC even if it is expensive. They are putting in a PCC near me and I may check that out.

Costco is definately keeping us within our budget over the next two weeks!