Pages

Friday, May 16, 2008

Dream Vacations

I stole this idea from Crazy Aunt Purl as her post on May 15 really hit a note with me. I LOVE to travel and sadly have not taken many trips (that required an airplane) in several years. Most of our summer fun involves packing the car and heading to Eastern WA to visit my father in law. We always enjoy our visits there and the weather is usually awesome in the summer but every once in a while I feel the need to really get away. The last time I was on a plane was a trip to Southern California with my hubby, bonus kids and in laws. The in law part was NOT fun!

Anyway, I LOVE to day dream about when my hubby and I are able to take some time off and travel - internationally. We do have a plan to do that before we are too old to enjoy it. Kind of a pre retirement. Have you read that book 1000 Places to See Before You Die?

1. Italy & Greece - One of my dreams is to take a year off and roam western Europe. All of it. This is certainly a big chunk of the world but a year would give me plenty of time to see what I want to see. In the event I can't take that year the first countries I want to visit in Western Europe would be Italy and Greece. I am fascinated by all of the ancient things about both of those countries. Not to mention seeing the canals of Venice, the hills of Tuscany, the Cinquetere and the Acropolis and Delphi.

2. England, Scotland & Ireland - My hubby is of Scottish ancestry and we would both love to see the country and visit Edinburgh Castle and kiss the Blarney stone. I would even try haggis which is just a bunch of liver, onion and oatmeal. Just visiting London could take a month in itself. I recently watched a travel show on the UK and didn't even realize Harrod's started as a market. In fact, they have a huge food market inside.

3. Czech Republic, Croatia & Turkey - Most of my heritage is Czech and I really would love to see the country. Croatia and Turkey are beautiful and often passed over for other more popular European countries on the Mediterranean. There is something romantic about these misunderstood countries I think.

4. - Russia & Tibet- My hubby has a co-worker who speaks fluent Russian and just took a job over there. I know there are a lot of rules as far as visiting that country and it's "always" covered in snow. I do think there is so much interesting history there.

5. India & Cambodia - I love Indian food and culture and hope to one day visit. So much has changed in this global economy. I would also love to see the temples of Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

6. Egypt, Morroco & Tunisia - I have always been fascinated by the Pharaoh's, traditions and pyramid's of Egypt. One of my favorite films is Death on the Nile which was originally a book by Agatha Christie. It just seems so romantic to me to float down the Nile river in the late 1920's.

There are oh so many more places I want to see like Argentina, Costa Rica, Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Iceland Eastern Canada & Sweden. I hope to see as much as I can!

1 comment:

Clean ClutterFree Simple said...

Haggis is actually, well, not bad. It's often served deep fried. The beer in Scotland is excellent, imho.