Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Career Exploration

For a while now I have not been satisfied in my current job. Althought I did not finish my degree what I do for a living is not even remotely what I went to school for. I have a significant birthday looming in a few months and I am feeling the need for a change.
Last Saturday I took a one day career development class to focus on a career change. This led to signing up for a nine week intensive that starts in a few weeks. I'm pretty excited about it and am really looking forward to exploring my options.
I know that I am a late bloomer. I went to college after high school but I really didn't know what I was doing there and chose a major more out of what I liked than what was ideal - because I really just didn't know what I wanted to do. Even reading books like "What Color is Your Parachute and going to the career counseling office was a struggle. They gave you tests and said you should be a writer or an architecht - yadda yadda yadda.
The opportunity to spend serious time focusing on the right career for me sounds a little selfish. The philosophy behind the place I am going focuses more on what's really important to you personally and helps you create a vision statement for the ideal job for me.
The only thing I wish is that I had done this a few years ago. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

If you're unhappy with your job, doing the right thing for yourself is never selfish. :)

Crystal said...

Good for you! It is never too late to start over again or make a big change. You still have a long life ahead of you and it's important that you spend those years happy, doing something you love. :)

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

Good luck! I think it's never too late in life to change careers and find something that you love and are passionate about!

Beth E-R said...

Good for you! Enjoy the process of identifying a path to pursue your passions and dreams.