Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Searching For The Right Furniture

I have lived at my current residence for over eight years. We are on our second set of living room furniture, both of them navy blue. It's really hard to position furniture in our living room. We have a sliding glass door and a fireplace on a 45 degree angle wall.

I am willing to, once I have saved the money, buy some nice furniture that will work within my space and taste. It's going to be a few months before we can get anything but in the mean time I am shopping the internet for ideas. The living room has some natural light from the sliders but no overhead lighting. So, it can get a little dark. I have left the wall color a light mocha so it doesn't become a cave.

I am going for a pretty traditional look. I would like some touches of travel and adventure. The room below is a little of what I am going for. I love the style and fabric of the wing chairs, the monogrammed pillow and wall color. The reason I like brown as a neutral is its warmer than black and I can add my olive green in throws and pillows and the existing rug I already have which is olive and chocolate.


We just bought a 50" flat screen TV and its currently sitting on a cabinet the same length as the TV which holds all of our components. We purchased a torchier lamp with a mica cover to go with it. I want to get a few smaller table top lamps with mica covers for the living and dining rooms.

As I was cruising through the internet I came across this wonderful media trunk from Restoration Hardware. Drool - want, want, want!

If you know me at all you know I love all things adventurous and travel so this would be a perfect addition to my home. The price tag however - $1895. Yikes! I already have a few pieces of luggage at home from my grandmother (one was made in to a bed for my dog) so for now that will have to do. I love globes and would like to get one. I don't have room for a big one but it would be fun.


The size of my room and the type of furniture we choose is going to be especially important. This wing chair I love and hope I can find a similar one with a little better price tag (these are $1310 to $1595 each). I love how tall it is but would want a brown or the herringbone in the top photo.

I love dark weathered leather and would love a leather couch. However, I think that a fabric covered couch would be better for our family and lifestyle. I have yet to find the perfect couch but this one comes close. In chocolate brown of course. It's deep and cozy!

I really like this spirits cabinet but the price tag is a little too much for me at $379. However, I think converting an existing dresser in to a bar could work too.

To round out the room a massive piece of art would be great. Something like this old Paris map would be perfect but the price tag is a little high.


I think I could probably buy a map of a favorite city and age it with tea and then frame it. Lord I wish I had money right now. With the exception of larger pieces I think I can work on getting a bar and artwork done on my own.

No comments: